Tuesday, November 11, 2014
We finally got in to see the neurologist after seven seizures in 26 hours. He had been in surgery most of the day, but managed to fit us in. Ciara is now on the Keppra anti-seizure meds that we had her on in the summer, and he expects her to respond well to it. Today's cluster seizure was the impetus to this decision. He agreed we can't wait any longer. She may have a few more seizures over the next 24 hours until the Keppra kicks in, but they should occur at longer intervals. There was some talk about keeping her overnight for monitoring but he thought she would do better at home. He also said to move her to the lower dose of soloxine for her thyroid although he doesn't think the two are related because she now has hyPERthyroidism (high thyroid), whereas in dogs, it is typically hyPOthyroidism (low thyroid) that occurs with epilepsy. Finally no anti-anxiety meds at this time, as we need to wait and see how she does on the Keppra. He says she may now just be an anxious dog. She never showed any signs of anxiety until we lost Thunder:( If the anxiety levels don't decrease, we will need to discuss options at that point because a lot of the anti-anxiety meds shouldn't be used in conjunction with seizure meds. Too much for my tired brain today. In any event, let's hope this crisis is coming to an end and we have a quiet night. And now I am off to keep her "awake" - doctor said we may be able to ward off the seizures this afternoon if we don't let her sleep until bedtime:) And here I thought I might be able to get in an early bedtime.
Lightning: No worries, Mom. Just get the rake out and you and I can keep Ciara awake while you rake and we mess up the piles.
Thanks again for all your support. It is so very much appreciated. Just knowing you are there thinking good thoughts is very consoling. Please forgive us if we don't get to your posts today.