Pathology report is back. I have been waiting all day to actually talk to the vet but I am still waiting. So I will share what I know. First here is a shot of Phantom on his way in from a quick potty trip. He still has the itchies and he is still camping out in his crate:(
So as we had expected, the tumor is malignant. It is a spindle cell neoplasia, grade 3 hemangiopericytoma. That's quite a mouthful. From what I understand, it is a tumor that can metastasize but usually does not. It is highly likely to recur and to do so with a vengeance. Results are best if the mass removed has clean margins of at least 3 centimeters. They did get clean margins with Phantom's mass but only a margin of 2-3 millimeters, a huge difference between 3 millimeters and 3 centimeters. Options are limited. Radiation or nothing. Until I talk to the vet, I guess I have to be patient. I know that radiation is very hard on a dog and I know how Phantom has already reacted to his current experience. My heart says I can't put him through that, but I will wait for the facts. If radiation is ruled out, then we wait and see how long it takes for the tumor to grow back and it will grow back. From what I have read, a second surgery will be even more difficult with a larger invasion and deeper penetration. I would have to cross that bridge at that time. It is very hard to deal with this happening so soon after the loss of Dakota, but that's the way it is. Most of what I have written here I have gathered from the pathology report and from a host of good solid websites. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they were all wrong?